- Creation of The Ubunye Foundation to support and empower local communities
- We employ over 100 people from rural communities, at least half of which are women; this doubles the income of most households
- We provide a positive health programme to staff, families and 10 surrounding rural villages
- Kwandwe funded the construction of a formal primary school within 2 km of our Eastern boundary
- We provide a preschool and aftercare centre on the property for children of staff
- Co-funded Rhodes University in the construction of a Development Centre
- Kwandwe donated land for the development of an agri-village
- Allocated land on the reserve and facilitated the construction of the Mgcamabele Community Centre
- Over 60 members of staff have been through an accredited leadership programme
- We provide adult based education and training with an on-property computer training centre
COMMUNITY AT KWANDWE
The Eastern Cape remains one of the least developed provinces in South Africa, with high unemployment and social challenges in many areas. In 2002 Kwandwe initiated its own social development arm. Called The Ubunye Foundation, it is the soul of Kwandwe.
The Ubunye Foundation is an independent, non-profit, charitable trust that currently invests in the development of twelve rural communities, two of which are located in the Kwandwe reserve.
Every guest staying at Kwandwe makes a direct contribution to our community developments through the Conservation and Community Levy (funds raised from the collection of this levy are split equally between these two initiatives).
Community | 11 October 2017
Communities work together through group savings
This story highlights how mobilisation in communities has brought about individuals and groups to work together through savings groups. Mrs. Nobengazi Ndwayana from Vela community, Ndwayana Village, shares her journey with the Vela Savings and Credit Group (SCG) that started in 2014.Read More
Community | 30 October 2017
Launch of the Foundation’s Royal Patronage
2014: The Ubunye Foundation is delighted to announce the Patronage of Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex. The Foundation is a development trust dedicated to unlocking the potential of rural communities through an integrated community development approach focusing on leadership development,...Read More